[SOLVED] Is it possible to use php code to show otherwise hidden text?

flunn

You could, but it means another trip back to the server. Javascript would be a better option. Or, if you really want to hide the text (ie; not visable in soure either) you'd be best to use a combination of php and Javascript. This sort of interaction is commonly refered to as Ajax.

It wouldn't be difficult at all, with some Javascript knowledge.

<html>
<body>

<script type="text/javascript">
function unhide() {
  x = document.getElementById("hidden");
  x.style.visibility = "visible";
}
</script>

<p id="hidden" style="visibility: hidden;">This was hidden</p>
<input type="button" onclick="unhide()" value="Show the hidden!" />

</body>
</html>

If you want to retrieve data from a database or so, look into AJAX.

I know this is the PHP forum and yes you could do this using PHP. In my eyes you could do that one of two ways. Store the hidden state in a session or a database. Either way it would require the page to reload to display the contents. It could really take forever. The JS or Ajax is really simple.

<a href="javascript:void(0);" onclick="document.getElementById('DIV_NAME').style.display='';">Show me</a>
<a href="javascript:void(0);" onclick="document.getElementById('DIV_NAME').style.display='none';">Hide me</a>

<div id="DIV_NAME" style="display:none;">Look at me ma!</div>

Many thanks to thorpe, flappy_warbucks, rab,and gijew for their responses to my question yesterday about using php to show hidden text.  I wasn't really surprised to hear that Java would be a better way of doing this than php but I was hoping there was a straightforward method using php because I don't know anything about Java (and am a near-beginner with php!).  I tried rab's code and found it worked fine on its own, but I wasn't able to integrate into my own php code successfully. So I've decided to do without a "show text" button for the time being. Anyway I'm very grateful for the replies which were interesting and informative — and which convinced me I'm going to have to sit down and learn some Java before long.

regards to all from flunn

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.