Using PHP to apply a class

Dilb

Hi,

I'm new to php, and I'm struggling to find out how to use php to set a class based on certain criteria. Basically, I'm using a file called navigation.html to store my primary navigation links as a list, and I'm using php's include once to access this in my pages. Obviously this means that I only need to change the navigation once to change it on all pages.

Trouble is I need to highlight the current page so that as users navigate around they know where they are. Is there some way I can use php to apply a class or id to the navigation link that points to the current page?

Thanks in advance.

s there some way I can use php to apply a class or id to the navigation link that points to the current page?

Yes.... can we see navigation.html? (By the way, you'll need to make this a php file).

Hi there,

An example of one of my pages might be:

<body>

<h2>Navigation</h2>

<ul>

<?php include("navigation.html"); ?>

</ul>

</body>

The 'navigation.html' file would then just be individual list items, such as:

<li><a href="index.php">Home</a></li>

<li><a href="about.php">About</a></li>

<li><a href="contact.php">Contact</a></li>

(Where I've put the end of the anchor, this forum is including [/url])

So obviously the list items would be added to the unordered list on each page, so I only have to update the navigation once for the whole site. So, if I'm on the home page, how do I use php to add a class to the Home list item?

Hope that's all you need. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

If you pass along the page the current user is on to your navigation.html page (which you'll need to make a .php page) you can have a differant class on the current page. So you will include like:

<?php 
include("http://www.yoursite.com/navigation.php?curr_page=about"); //whoops - forgot you'll need to use an absolute path otherwise you cant sent along get data
?>

Then, in your navigation page:

<?php
$pages = array("home","about","contact");//put all the possible pages into an array - far easier
$curr_page = $_GET['curr_page'];
foreach($pages as $value){
echo "<li";
if($value == $curr_page){
echo " class='currentpage'";
}
echo "><a href='".$value.".php'>$value</a></li>";
}
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.