[SOLVED] Site Critique - Geek Ammo

nightcrawler

Well, the old design used a free CSS template.  It was the best free one that I could find, but I didn't like the Markup it required to use, so I decided to make my own.  This new one utilizes a database of links and downloads, with screenshots. So I really like the markup and code of this new design, I just need some guidance regarding the "look" of the site.

Looks like 4 million other sites on the web... very boring, very bland, nothing special to make it stand out. You couldn't even be bothered to make an image for the header.

And seriously... yellow font on a white background? Are you trying to make us go blind?

I'm with the other guy... I'm not sure how you could possibly think this is an upgrade.

Well, I'm color blind...

Give me some ideas for improvements not just random criticism.

What you're doing isn't helpful. 

You could even bother with...

I didn't create an Header Image becuase I can't design graphics.  However, some suggestions for what I should do would be great.

Please only post suggestions for improvement.

Ideas are supposed to come from the designer of the site.  If I woke up tomorrow and decided I wanted to be an artist but I didn't know what to paint... how well do you think I'd do?

But I'll submit a few:

1) Take your name of your site and turn it into something tangible... "geek ammo"... you could go 2 routes with that... find an image that looks nerdy... a guy in glasses with tape holding them together... a pile of ammo boxes with computer hardware in them or sheets of code in them.. or how about a nerdy looking person holding programming commands instead of guns?  That wouldn't be too hard to photoshop.

2) make the design fluid.. (note I did not say fluid width)... right now your site is nothing but a bunch of boxes that don't look good together and aren't aligned properly in all the major browsers.  Nothing transitions nicely from one part to the next.  I mean... look at the old design.  Things look like they fit together and everything looks like it's just part of one big thing... when I look at your new design my mind goes "HEADER COLUMN COLUMN COLUMN FOOTER".  When I look at your old site my mind just sees one fluid, integrated site.

3) Seperate, define, populate.  You have far too much white space.  And as I've said before... just a bunch of floating boxes.  Use a color for the "outside" area and a different color for the content area.  And take a hint from your previous design... fill the columns on the left and right with more than what you have in the main content area.

That should get you started.

"1) Take your name of your site and turn it into something tangible... "geek ammo"... you could go 2 routes with that... find an image that looks nerdy... a guy in glasses with tape holding them together... a pile of ammo boxes with computer hardware in them or sheets of code in them.. or how about a nerdy looking person holding programming commands instead of guns?  That wouldn't be too hard to photoshop.

"

love that idea!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.