textbox: disallow html input

campbem

Using any *very* compatible scripting (javascript,php, etc) what would be the easiest way to completely disallow html input from being entered into an html form?

I do not want to strip html tags, or re-encode them for a database, or allow only certain tags...I want the textbox to throw away the entire form if any html tag is entered from any source.

I suppose I could regex or use some part of an existing php function to detect tags, but I don't think I could account for  all possible tags - I basically want the textbox to be TRULY text only. I'd probably want to allow someone to use <> and other english language characters as they would in an actual english sentence, but I want the form to just deny any programming tags.

Does any one know of snippets out there that already do this? Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.