Limiting Failed Login Attempts

jackie13

Hello everyone,

I need to protect a few pages on my website. I already have a third party forum installed. I figured it would be convenient for my users to use their current logins/passwords to view the protected pages.

Problem:

I am aware that a simple login form I created is vulnerable to brute-force attacks. What easy (or relatively easy) method would you use to limit the number of failed login attempts to, say, 10 attempts a day?

One solution you could use is to store a timestamp and integer in the user's session.  You could then read those in and check the integer and timestamp for a certain frequency, and if some limit was met redirect or block the user from logging in.

I think a bigger concern will be leveraging the existing database, but that may be doable if all you're attempting to provide is a username/password check.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.