[SOLVED] Book recommendation?

phpknight

Does anybody have a good book recommendation for Apache/Server Administation that has lots of useful stuff in it for the uninitiated?  Ideally it would have examples and start from the beginning.  I am not very versed in unix at all.  Every once in a while, somebody mentions something very useful for me like 'tail' or 'top.'  However, most of the books I have seen seem to assume I know too much already or just list everything like an encycopedia. 

Most of the people I ask seem to just say something like, "I just learned by hacking around."  Since I am primarily a programmer, I do not really have time for that.  I have a managed server, but I also want to start learning my way around so I am not always so dependent on the support team. 

Thanks in advance!

It would be useful if you chose a particular linux distribution, and got a book with it in mind. The typical distros are:

Ubuntu and Debian

RedHat and Fedora and Centos

Gentoo

...and a whole LOAD of others.

Anyways, if you choose a particular one of the above (I personally use Debian), then it will make it much easier. Based on this, then get an O'Reilly book. (you cant go that wrong with o'reilly).

Take a look through: http://www.oreilly.com/pub/topic/linux

Apart from that, you need to set yourself a goal or target. I.e. setup a LAMP server, or a Linux Mail server. I wrote a wiki throughout my learning experience with linux, and its still growing! - http://wiki.kartbuilding.net

If you have any specific questions, just ask.

Best of Luck,

-steve

• 2 weeks later...

Like steviewdr, I would suggest you start on a project, it is the best way to learn your way around the intrincities of an os and its services. If you decide to go with Linux I'd suggest you join a community such as linuxquestions.org they are very helpful and posses a wealth of information in comparison to any given book. God luck.   

Oh and by the way if you want to ditch that book you are reading on CSS, try "Spring Into HTML and CSS", it is very readable and straight to the point.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.