SQL injection possiblity help

clanstyles

Okay earlier i asked about how to prevent sql injection. So around everything I put cleanStr()

$viewPage = cleanStr($_GET['view']);

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `place` WHERE `something` = true AND `id` = $viewPage");

query works fine. Problem comes with a url variable bieng passed. id=1 if i put id=1' or somthing I get

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in

How can I stop this?

function cleanStr($str)
{
$str = trim(mysql_real_escape_string(strip_tags($str)));
return $str;
}

That means there is something wrong with the query. Try to catch the error.

<?php
   $result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `place` WHERE `something` = true AND `id` = $viewPage")or die(mysql_error());
?>

EDIT: Oops, I should have read the question more carefully. Why are you putting an apostrophe in the id in the first place?

Well ill be happy to know its not an injection problem. its w/ my query

if(isset($_GET['view']))
                            		{
                            			$viewPage = $_POST['view'];
                            			$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `houses` WHERE `enabled`=1 AND `id`=$viewPage");
                            			if(mysql_num_rows(cleanStr($result)) < 1)
                            				echo "There is no site listed. Please contact a system administrator.";
                            			else

Try catching the error like I mentioned above. Also that is what I told you to do, is to remove the cleanstr() function.

Change your query to this:

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `houses` WHERE `enabled`=1 AND `id`=$viewPage")or die(mysql_error());

Also, why are you using the cleanstr() on this line?

if(mysql_num_rows(cleanStr($result)) < 1)

Change it to this:

if(mysql_num_rows($result) < 1)

Apostrophes in the URL are automatically escaped, so I don't think there is even a need to use the function on the $_GET variable.

Just wanted to add, this is only if magic_quotes are turned on.

Personally, i hate the magic_quotes concept. Don't see why something should happen to data from the user that i don't do to it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.