best light weight database

cartoper

I am working on a kiosk system that is packaged software.  I am looking to start implementing the shopping cart feature and need a database.  My 10+ years of software development has always been in GUI development, not web development.  So this will be the first shopping cart system I have ever implemented.

I am leery of things like MySql and PostgreSQL because they are simply over kill for what I need to do:  The whole issue of installing them and administering them is simply way too much for my customers.  My customers are not geeks like us;)

I have considered Berkeley DB, but know little about it other then it is a simple file based DB and it appears that it is NOT a relation database.  The question I have is: Is it powerful enough?    I am thinking not, considering that the shopping cart is only the being, over time I do expect to be tracking lots of accounting stuff (need to hire an export for that stuff, when I get to that point).

The bottom line is that I am looking for a database system that is flexible enough for me to use but simple to install and maintain for my customer.  Any suggestions?

Cartoper

MySQL is extremely common and many very large sites like eBay and smaller sitse use it. It comes pre-installed on most decent web space so you won't have to install it unless you own the servers.

Not sure what you mean by packaged software - will this be packed by you or are you looking at using someone else's software?

Not sure what you mean by packaged software - will this be packed by you or are you looking at using someone else's software?
I am using the wrong term, the right term is ISV.  I am developing a software package that will install the apache web server, php, and the database on my customer computer turning it into a server.  My customers are not computer savvy in the least, so I need a very simple install and setup so that they don't have to even know that a database is being used.

Cartoper

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.