[SOLVED] How to calculate the day of the week by a given date.

Anzeo

Hi all, finally back to coding.

I've advanced quite a bit with my current project, but the time has come again I can't code my way any further.

I'm currently working on a (simple) calendar system which allows registered users to add an event to the calendar. The table EVENT stores info about the author, date and description of the event.

I then managed to output a list in which only events of this year are showed and are grouped together by months.

And now I only need one more thing to complete the script. I want to output for every event on which day of the week it occurs (monday - sunday). I've looked around for tutorials but haven't found a basic one.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this? Many thanks in advance!

The setlocal doesn't seem to be working. I assume I'll have to use a switch or something like that to translate 'manually' ?

I read somewhere that the language file has to be installed on the server in order for setlocal to be working?

You have already seen that you can do that in an earlier post. I was just suggesting "w" instead of "l" and using an array such as this (only translated into Dutch equivalents)

<?php
$days = array('Sunday', 'Monday', 'Tuesday','Wednesday', 'Thursday', 'Friday', 'Saturday');
$dow = date('w', strtotime('2007-07-07'));
echo $days[$dow];  // Saturday
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.