I have no idea what to call this

cry of war

I am making a game and I have a registration page where you sign for my game. I want to add a Javascript that takes each character of a text field, say for like a screen name, and gives it a value then it adds all the values assigned to the characters of the name so I can give them a special stat when they are with in such and such number

Example

Cry of War

C=(some number)

r=(some number)

y=(some number)

(space)=(some number)

o=(some number)

f=(some number)

(space)=(some number)

W=(some number)

a=(some number)

r=(some number)

(All some numbers Added together)=(Some other number)

If some other number is between 0 and 10 do such and such

11 and 20 do such and such and so on and so forth

So do you guys think you can help me???

And would the JavaScript think that C R Y is different from c r y if something like this would work?

If javascript can tell the number of the character from the encoding, then it should be able to add them all up without even needing a list of all their values in the script.

Not sure if it can or not though. I know PHP can.

<html>

<head>

<script type="text/javascript">
	var x
            Name = new String("the text or what ever from the text field goes here some how???")

Name = Name.split("")

for (x in Name)
{
    document.write(Name[x]+"<br/>")
}

</script>

</head>

<body></body>

</html>

This is what i have so far seems to be working i almost get the effect i want all i have to do now is find a way to switch the Letters to numbers or if some one could help me with the php AZU was talking about that would be much appreciated

CoW

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.