Sorry, I'm a total noob, posting questions with my very first contribution D:

Arkane111

Hello, yeah its my first post.

I work for a guy who owns his own business, a small company.

He had paid someone to make a website for him a few years ago...that guy had his sister host it and all was fine for 2 years.

My boss, he paid the guy way too much, and by having his sister host it..they basically screwed him over big time on the charges. It really sucks because he doesnt have much money and he is just trying to make his dream work ya know...

Anyway, I decided that enough is enough..after the "sister" hosting the website tripled her already ridiculous price. She wants 100$ per month for basic hosting. Absurd! Also she will not even answer a phone call or email or help with ANYTHING. So I searched our old records..(printed stuff in messy filecabinets yay!) and found the FTP information...I copied everything on the FTP and moved it over..EXACTLY how it was copied onto a new server...and Lo and Behold... it doesnt work D:

I have no idea how to program PHP or MYSQL, I know really mild HTML. I'm good at building machines, and doing networks..and common computer problems and driver madness etc... Just this stuff..perplexes me..

I searched for professional help...to try to aid us in transitioning..because I assumed I did something wrong <.< We dont have 100$ an hour to give someone..I barley make 200$ in a week. So I thought..maybe I could find a cool PHP forum.. that had some smart people that might help us figure this weirdness out >.>

Several searches later... blamo I am here x.x

Sorry for the ridiculous introduction... I just thought my disposition would be relevant <.<

Here is what happens..

I copied all the files exactly using FileZilla.. I uploaded them to the new server using FileZilla. When I open up the documents on my harddrive or by doing an FTP in my browser..it comes up all funky o.o

Here is the website the way it should look...

www.growyoungandslim.com

and here is what I see on that same welcome page..when I just copy things over...

query($query); $bio = $bio_res->fetchRow(DB_FETCHMODE_ASSOC); $query = "select name, email, address1, address2, city, state, zip, phone from hcp where hcp_id = $hcp_id"; $hcpres = $db->query($query); $hcp = $hcpres->fetchRow(DB_FETCHMODE_ASSOC); ?>

"; echo $hcp['address1']; if(strlen($hcp['address2'])>0) { echo "

"; echo $hcp['address2']; } echo "

"; echo $hcp['city']; echo ", "; echo $hcp['state']; echo " "; echo $hcp['zip']; echo "

"; echo $hcp['phone']; echo "

"; echo ""; echo $hcp['email']; echo ""; ?>

stuff like that...on every page D:

Im really confuzzled <.< HTML aint like that lol..its also not as functional though.

I also see this Alert message that pops up.. 550 failed to change directory.

I dont understand that at all -.-; the server im testing it on has 0 security its wide open and everything from the old site is there...so.. any ideas >.>?

Is there an easy way to do this >.> ?

Sorry my first post is so obnoxious x.x

It looks to me like the server you moved your scripts to doesn't support PHP.

PHP is server side, unlike javascript or html which essentially is run on the host's computer... PHP is compiled on the server. This means if the server doesn't support PHP, then you're out of luck... none of your stuff is going to run.

Check with the hosting company to see if they support PHP.

In the meantime, create a file named ".htaccess" (No quotes) in the base directory of the site (public_html ... web... something like that) and put the following text in the file:

Deny from all

This will prevent any user from seeing your files until you get this resolved.

who's your current host?

maybe you should move to my host,

its really cheap and you get GREAT

features and support.

http://www.ixwebhosting.com/templates/ix/v2/affiliate/clickthru.cgi?id=nfa14

(thats my affiliate link, in case you want to help me earn some extra cash  ;) )

but really, at least check it out,

this is seriously the best hosting

company I have ever come accross

This new server is from Network Solutions, its the basic service and I was told it does support PHP. Ill make the test file and report back, thanks for help x.x I feel so stupid lol

I chose them because they are HUGE and I wanted a large reliable company, so we dont fall into the same trap as last time x.x.

Don't worry of being a total noob.

I'm also a noob, and as far as I can remember my 1st post is also a question :D

If after checking that your host has php support like infid3l recommended, you need to do...

First of all, FTP can NOT copy database. So when you downloaded all the files you still left the database out. You need to search for the web hosting control panel login address, along with the username and password to the web hosting control panel. Normally current web hosting control panel has an attached tool, mostly PHPMyAdmin, that is able to create backup or copy of the database.

You also need to upload the database the same way to the new server, using the control panel, not the ftp.

Second of all, some files can NOT be copied by FTP because you "filter" it, accidentally or not. E.g. CuteFTP has a normal and default "list" command to list all the files on the server. This won't copy the .htaccess file for example. You need to activate "list -a" command on the FTP software to copy ALL the files. Try to reconfigure your FileZilla.

Lastly, you need to manually search all those .php files and see the database login information. Probably on login.php or something similar. You need to change 4 things: the database host, username, database name, and password according your new web host.

Try doing those. Most of the time, because of the missing database or .htaccess file, all kind of problems will arise. Probably after doing those things all your problems will just gone. After you copy all the files and DB, come back here if you still have problems.

Regards,

Thanks millions, Ill try those things.  Thanks alot.

If the test.php file shows you information about the PHP installation, you need to go into every single PHP file and replace "<?" with "<?php". It can be done automatically via a unix command too if there's too many files to edit manually.

Thanks millions, Ill try those things.  Thanks alot.

If the test.php file shows you information about the PHP installation, you need to go into every single PHP file and replace "<?" with "<?php". It can be done automatically via a unix command too if there's too many files to edit manually.

hmm ill have to get started tomorrow morning figuring this out.. its 1:20 am and im delirious lol.

thank you very much for your input peoples. i do not take it for granted.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.