Site down but no evidence in logs?

phpknight

I have an entire server for a very small site.  I have noticed that every once in a while I cannot connect to my site for about one minute--any page, PHP or HTML.  If I do a tracert during this time, however, everything looks fine.  Then, the site is back up again.  This happens about every other day, but nothing ever shows up in the logs, and the server people cannot find anything wrong.

Has anybody here had this problem?  If so, what is it, and how did you diagnose the problem and solve it?

I think that is ruled out.  I just had the same problem today,  Site down, mail down, tracert works.  However, I tried to login to the site through Putty, and the connection timed out.  Doesn't that mean it is a server issue?  Technically, it could be my ISP I guess, but this never happens to any other site but mine when I am on the web.

So - this website is on a Shared Server?

Can you check if there are other websites on this server?

See: http://www.seologs.com/ip-domains.html

Are those websites up when yours is down?

Is your Hosting Companys website up when yours is down?

There are websites such as http://site24x7.com/index.html

which will give you 1 month free monitoring. You could then email these graphs and stats to your server hosting and look for a refund!

As hackerkts said, if you and your regional friends are accessing your website, it will be *much* better if you get a local hosting company.

-steve

No, I have a dedicated managed server that is just in the next state for a small site of 6K page views per day.  It is not far away.  It is the visitors that sometimes are international.

I reconfigured the entire site to run and time queries through one function, and it is definitely not a query execution problem. 

Therefore, it is either some server issue or PHP.  I'd guess the former.

You need to see is it a:

server issue

connectivity issue

If its a dedicated server, you can install tools like nagios and smokeping to perform checks on connectivity.

From your own pc, use:

ping -t website.com

<CTRL + C to cancel the ping after an hour etc. and see whats the ping loss etc.

Does your Hosting company provide server monitoring? Its pretty standard on dedicated boxen.

I would also use site24x7.com to monitor your box.

Have you ftp or ssh running on the server?

Perhaps you can check their status when your website looses connectivity etc.

-steve

Steve,

ping or tracert will always work during a down time.  But, if I try to login through putty or connect through a browser, then I get nothing.

Yes, they provide monitoring, but I find that they miss things that I can catch with scripts--like ssl going down, etc.  They do not check everything.

I think ftp goes down as well from what I remember, but I do not usually test that one.

I will check out that site.  Maybe it would be good to monitor it from a site that is not located in the same facility as the server.

Thanks!

"....like ssl going down"

and its *your* dedicated server? Does the ssh connection drop (via putty) when this blimp happens?

I suggest you install and use "screen":

http://wiki.kartbuilding.net/index.php/Screen

it will allow processes to remain running on the server, even though your connection has dropped.

When this blimp happens, can you ssh to the server of your hosting company? Is there website up?

Its either that your box is overloaded with connections, or the firewall is intermittent, or its your ISP, ......

Setup some external monitoring from someother site.

Also - when the website goes down again, try and access it via the google translator (choose some language etc.)

-steve

Steve,

Okay I will try those tips.  I just mean that I pay for a dedicated managed server, so I know which sites are on it, etc.  That only happened to the ssl once.  So I am not too worried about it. 

I cannot reach the site through putty when it happens.  It happens so fast and suddenly, and I am never inside Putty when it happens.

I checked out that 24x7 site.  The difficulty is that it runs every five minutes, but I need something that checks every 30 seconds.

For that ping (using XP), how do I get all the information to save into a file?  Also, what is an acceptable loss rate?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.