[SOLVED] Adding guests to guest table

L

Hey,

I have come to a wall. I want to add, count, and remove guests from the active_guests table. So when a guest who is not logged in comes to the site he will be added to the table, but when he leaves or logs in he gets deleted from the table. But then i count the rows and echo it. The part i need help is with adding and deleting guests when they come and leave the site. I'm not sure how to do this, but in my table i have an ip row where it eneters their ip to track them by, can anyone point me in the right direction

Also I have another problem(instead of making another topic) ill post it here too. I want to count how many new pms a user has, so i did this...

$pmnum = mysql_query("SELECT `to_id`, `new` * FROM `PMs` WHERE `to_id`='".$_SESSION['userid']."' and `new`='0'");
$num = mysql_numrows($pmnum);

and then i would echo it out....but im getting nothing..not even a zero...can someone help me with this too?

Thank you for your time,

~L

hmm...that doesn't seem to make a difference, nothing is still showing......i tried to use COUNT() on the query but that always gave me a 1, even though i have more than 1 new pm( or more than one pm who's new value is 0(meaning its new))

Sweet....i got the counting new pms to work by putting

require("database.php");
$pm = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `PMs` WHERE `to_id`='".$_SESSION['userid']."'") or die(mysql_error());
$numpm = mysql_num_rows($pm);

it seems that it wasn;t connecting to the database because when i required database.php it was in another if, so it mustn't have worked....but i still have no idea how to do the guest thing...can anyone help me?

You can put the "unknown" user who comes to your site into the database, and store their IP...but you will never be able to tell if they logged in as there is no way to tell which user they were. You COULD TRY telling who they were by their IP, but IP addresses change all the time, so that wouldn't work too well. I'm not sure if what your trying to achieve is possible.

mgallforever, your solution seems like it can work...and pocobueno, maybe i didn't explain myself correctly, i meant delete a person that's in the table if they are not active, which would mean they either left, or logged in....i just couldn't really find the word, but being inactive for 5 minutes is something that seems reasonable.

So with the method:

would i have an insert and update query on everypage so i can grab the guests timestamp?(insert for ip, and time, and then update for the time)?

and also how would i have the if for every five minutes?

Thanx for your help

~L

would i have an insert and update query on everypage so i can grab the guests timestamp?(insert for ip, and time, and then update for the time)?

Yes.

how would i have the if for every five minutes?

The best way would be to setup a cron job to execute the given query every 5 minutes. If you don't have access to cron though you could also run the query on each request.

yah, i don't have access to cron, unfortunately :(

but ill just have t so if goes everytime the page is refreshed, since its at the top of the page. but the problem im having is that when im logged out im not being inserted into the database...here's my code

<?
session_start();
$time = time();
$ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
if (empty($_SESSION['userid']) || empty($_SESSION['username'])) {
$row = mysql_fetch_array(mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `active_guests` WHERE `ip`='$ip'"));
if ($row['ip'] == $ip) {
mysql_query("UPDATE `active_guests` SET `timestamp`='$time'");
} else {
mysql_query("INSERT INTO `active_guests` (`ip`,`timestamp`) VALUES('".$ip."','".$time."')");
}
}
?>

This is the include at the top of all pages

EDIT NeverMind, I forgot to make a connection

ok...now that i added a guest..how would i make it so the database deletes him if he's inactive for 5 minutes(meaning he left the website or logged in)

anyone?  i really can't think of anything here

ok...what's wrong with this code....it seems like it should work, but it's not deleting me

<?
session_start();
$time = time();
include("database.php");

$row = mysql_fetch_array(mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `active_guests` WHERE `ip`='$ip'"));
if ($row['ip'] == $ip) {
mysql_query("UPDATE `active_guests` SET `timestamp`='$time'");
} else {
mysql_query("INSERT INTO `active_guests` (`ip`,`timestamp`) VALUES('".$ip."','".$time."')");
}
}
mysql_query("CREATE EVENT updateguests ON SCHEDULE EVERY 1 MINUTE DO DELETE FROM 5810_riaz.active_guests WHERE timestamp < (UNIX_TIMESTAMP()-300)");
?>

do u mean this dont get your code sorry

<?php session_start();

include("database.php");

$time = time();

$query="SELECT * FROM `active_guests` WHERE `ip`='$ip'";

$result=mysql_query($query)or die("mysql_error");

while($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)){

if ($row['ip'] == $ip) {

$quert2="UPDATE `active_guests` SET `timestamp`='$time'";

$result2=mysql_query($query2)or die("mysql_error");

} else {

$query3="INSERT INTO `active_guests` (`ip`,`timestamp`) VALUES('".$ip."','".$time."')";

$result3=mysql_query($query2)or die("mysql_error");

$query4="DELETE FROM 5810_riaz.active_guests WHERE timestamp < (UNIX_TIMESTAMP()-300)";

$resilt4=mysql_query($query4)or die("mysql_error");
}
   }
    }
    ?>

hmmm....that seems right, but i want it to delete the user in active_guests if he leaves the site...so if `timestamp` is more than five minutes of $time, it deletes the dude from the table....

EXAMPLE:

I go to my site...it inputs me in the guest table....but if i leave the site or log in(meaning the guest is now currently inactive) it deletes that ip from the table.....so to see if a user is active or not the query runs whenever the page is loaded, and if the time in the table that was inserted when i came to the site is more than five minutes off then it deletes the user, because that means the guest left, logged in, or is not browsing my site anymore....

If that still doesn't make sense, then i ask this question. How do I count how many guests are viewing my site? <- that's my purpose of all of this, counting how many users are viewing the site.

I really don't know why it's not letting me edit my post...but here is my edit

i want something like this

343 user(s) are online

Members: 4

Guests: 339

I got the members part down...i just need to know how to do the guests part

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.