Help translating website into french..

cgm225

I want to create a French version of my small personal website (my site), and plan on using Google Translate to help me translate the bulk of the text.  However, I wanted to know if someone would help me proofread the French translation for any errors produced by the Google translator (see example translation of my main page)

Regardless, thank you all for your time and consideration!

cgm225

As you can see, you'll run into issues with anything like '~After' as the translator will think thats all a word and will try to translate the whole thing.

However, the bigger issue is that you are only ever going to get a gisted translation from an online translator.

Whilst a french speaker could probably understand the majority of the translated text, it wont read very well, and there will be plently of gramatical errors(particularly those relating to tenses).

If online translators were better, i'd do far better in my french A-level :P

I would agree that babelfish does generally give a better translation that most. However, the translations are still gisted, non-context specific and often in the wrong tense.

Apart from anything else, consider how many words have duplicate meanings in english. They may have differant words for each of the different meanings in french. For example, a match can refer to a game of sport etc, or something used to make a flame. The words in french are differant depending on which meaning you want.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.