[SOLVED] Removing all PHP from a file

Rashy

I have hundreds of files that I need to remove all of the PHP from: I am converting from static pages to a database driven site.

Basic structure of each page goes like this:

<? 
$title = "TITLE"; 
// Some more variables that set things such as the description and keywords 

require_once('required-files/top.php'); 
// Most have just this, a few have others on a situational basis 

?> 

Content of Article 

<?php 

require_once('required-files/bottom.php'); 

?>

So I thought it would be pretty easy. Include the file, gather the variables (such as $title), then "reopen" the file and use preg_replace to remove the PHP. Here is my code that concerns the regex and the "warning" I am getting:

$pattern = "#<\?(+.?)\?>#imes";
            $fp = fopen($file,"r");
            if(!$fp){
              die("File Doesn't Open");
            } 
           $txt = fread($fp, filesize($file));
           while(preg_match($pattern, $txt)){
              $txt = preg_replace($pattern, "", $txt);
            }
            $txt = htmlentities($txt);
            echo '<div style="background-color:#eeeeee">';
            echo $txt;
            echo '</div>';

Sorry if my code is sloppy, I usually keep it nice but I am very frustrated right now. Anyways, the error I am getting:

Warning: preg_match() [function.preg-match]: Compilation failed: nothing to repeat at offset 4 in C:\xampp\htdocs\rashy\work\files.php on line 36

Now I don't even know what that error means  ;)

Basically what I am trying to do at this point is take that original file and store only the content into a variable so I can then store that into the database.

I am doing this on a dev server, just using XAMPP, PHP 5.2.2, all default settings except I did turn on ModRewrite, but I don't think that should have any effect here.

The ouput of echo($txt); shows me the contents of the file in question (I could copy-paste it into notepad, save it, and it would be an exact duplicate).

Thanks for any help  :D

well the erros are self explanatory if you are up with your regex's

that error occurred because you had the + in (+.*) meanin more than one NOTHING - ( defines the start of a group in the string + - macth more than one so you have nothing to match more than one of.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.