Help uploading multiple files

Cabal

Ok here's my predicament.

At work one of my tasks for the site (being created in php) is to create a file uploader where people can select files to upload to the site. The problem is - with this site a user could potentially be wanting to upload over 100 files at any one time, maybe several hundred.

However as I'm sure you know - html file uploaders only allow one file to be selected at once.... so for over 100 files this would be incredibly time consuming. Then I thought if there's a list of files entered into a text box it would be possible to preload lots of file fields with this data - but nope it seems like you're not allowed to use the value tag to set file fields like you are with normal text inputs.

Does anybody know of a way this could be implemented? Or do you know of any third party scripts that would work? I'm starting to run out of ideas.

I looked around for flash applets as some sites use these but when i went to select a large selection of files they all kept just saying "sorry... too many files"

HELP!

Look at Facebook.com, their solution to this problem is a java addin...

More practical for you req. is probably user training.  Train the users to zip the files and then upload 1 archive.

Also if I'm not mistaken, when the upload dialog opens then you may CTRL select a number of files, right click and archive, then select the archived / zipped file and upload. 

Another solution is to perhaps have the users ftp / move the files to a directory on the server and pick them up from their.  This bypasses the HTML upload.

Hth

Graeme

Thank you for your quick reply

I looked at java applets and stuff but they are disabled on this network for security reasons and while this wouldnt matter so much as we wouldnt be the one uploading - it would be our clients on other networks - it would be clients from various companies that would be uploading... and many of them probably have java applets disabled too.

I suggested zip files to my supervisor this morning as a workaround and he told me that would be "clumsy" - especially with our clients that send large numbers of files.

I suppose I could just see if the server we're having set up for this project would be able to just have different ftp users to upload all those files at once - but I think they want it all integrated into the website if possible.

Hmm. Everybody seems to be pointing me in the direction of java applets so if this is the only workaround I'll have to work on this at home or something due to this networks security restrictions.

I'll probably end up using java applets as the main option then either:

1) create a small ftp based application to do the rest

or

2) just zip uploads

None of these options are ideal so if theres any other way let me know.... if not we'll just have to make a compromise (i dont like using that word lol) at work.

Sorry for multiple messages..... but I think I found a solution. As long as ftp uploads are enabled on the server, and as long as we have a list of files in the directory - which we can just use a dos dir output for - they don't mind that - there's no reason why a loop of ftp_put wouldnt work right?

I've never used ftp functions through php before so didn't think of it sooner.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.