IP banning

Cless

But in some cases...it helps as a deterrent. I say do both username and IP bans....and store it in a cookie as an additional step...just an extra step to annoy them more. The method depends on how you're storing the banned users...MySQL database? Flat file?

the cookie idea works because if their IP is in the cookie + its banned you know it came from that machine, but if someone can get around a proxy they will know how to kill your cookies, but you could say if they have the "bad cookie" set  a session with them that says they are bad too

A simplification...

<?php

$usrip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
  $usrname = $_SESSION['username'];

$banlist = file_get_contents('banlist.txt');

if((preg_match('/'.$usrip.'/i', $banlist)) || (preg_match('/'.$usrname.'/i', $banlist)) || ($_COOKIE['banned'] == '1')) 
    {
      header("Location: index.php?notice=banned");
      exit;
    }

?>

And in index.php you set your cookie.

And sure...they can clear their cookies. But every time they get banned...they have to take extra steps to get to your site. At that point, they have to start wondering what the hell they're doing with their spare time. They've got issues. :-P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.