[SOLVED] Scrolling

jaymc

On my site I have a system where members can post comments on each others profiles

The problem Im having, if someone posts:

testttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

It will cause an x axis scroll bar because there is no break in the text

Whats the best way to combat this, Im assuming it has to be PHP as HTML will always stretch the content to fit it in, regardess of width specifications

I was thinkin of perhaps inserting an automatic <BR> after every 50th char, but the problem then it would cut genuine words in half if they fell into the 50th char

So I would need to make it  a bit more clever than that

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Use:

wordwrap($text, 50, "<br />\n");

It won't split genuine words in half, unless you include the optional fourth parameter and set it to true... hope this helps

Ed

This only works with words

If someone just posts

tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

It wont split it because that count as just one word

It will work if I add 'true' in the function but that of course will split genuine words in half

I think I need a way of detecting excesive letters

Its safe to say any word that contains more than 3 consecutive letters is not a valid word, e.g hellooooooooo

The CSS doesnt work either, it gives a scroll bar or still stretches the content, this cannot be

In Invision Power Board you can do it, here is how they describe it

Remove excess exclamation/question marks in topic titles?

Will turn: This!!!!! into This!

Any more suggestions?

<?php

$test="testtttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt";

if(strlen($test)>50){

$word=wordwrap($test,50,"<br>" ,true);
}
echo $word;

?>

<?php

$test="testtttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt";

if(strlen($test)>50){

}
echo $word;

?>

Ok thats real good, however, to use that Im going to have to explode each comment by " " to dig out the words, then for each word do the strlen check

Sure it will work, but do I need to worry about it using a hell load of resources

The max amount of chars per comment is 1000

Its just my site is quite busy so the less resources my scripts use the better

Should I worry about it?

have a look at this ok.

<?php

$test="testtttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt";

echo "Total charecters ".strlen($test)." <br>";

if(strlen($test)>50){

}
echo $word;

?>

Heres what Ive come up with

$words = explode(" ", $comments[comment]);
$wordarray = array();

foreach ($words as $words) {

if(strlen($words)>35){

$words=substr($words, 0, 35);

}

$wordarray[] = $words;

}

$comments[comment] = join(" ", $wordarray);
[code]

Works a treat

[/code]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.