timestamp inconsistency between servers

dj-kenpo

little confused, on my localhost vs my server I get 2 different timestamps for "July 28 2007"

same code,

$month = date("F");
$date = date("d");
$year = date("Y");
$Timestamp_today = strtotime ("$month $date $year");

my understadnign is they shoudl e the same as all I want to store is month/day/year not hours

yet localhost gives me "1185595200"

and my host server gives me "1185606000".

what am I doing wrong? i just want the bare date with no hours and I'd liekt hem to be the same. and YES my tiem is set correct on my computer and the server is the same, minu it's ina  different tiem zone, but again, if hours are ignored, it shouldn't matter.

for what I'm doing I DON'T want the hours. I am storing ONE timstamp universal per day. it's to track how many bots hit the site. storing an exact tiemstamp woudl result in thousands of rows per day rather than one with incremental click value

I usually interpret caps and bold as yelling ;p.

Do their timezones happen to be 3 hours apart?

Yes, you're not asking for hours, but think about this:

July 28th starts when July 27th 23:59 turns into 24:00, thus even days depend on hours.

For GMT -0 it would still be the 27th when it was the the 28th and 0:00 for GMT +1 if ya know what I mean.

Hmmmm just thought about this:

$timestamp = time();

$timestamp = $timestamp - ($timestamp % (1440))

That would shave off the seconds that didn't make it an even day, but on the two servers if the time zones happened to overlap, it would still have problems.... Just might be faster than data and str to time.... Not sure though.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.