problem with apache-wamp server, a router, and internet access

DeusNK

I have installed wamp server and so far local access is fine.

But I would like to allow access to the internet, now when I type my IP - Dynamic, I can access my router, but I want to access my webpage instead.

By typing my WAN IP i get these problems...

I have forwarded ports 3030 and 80, so far 3030 does'nt work I get 404 file not found and a prett pink background.

Port 80 just gets my router.

Now I know this is a common topic, and even though I've searched and read a lot of topics, they are just causing more confusion.

So if some body could please talk me through step by step please, I'm not PC illiterate, just a noob when it comes to Apache.

My router is a netgear DG834T

Latest version of Wamp server.

I think the problem may be related to the config of apache not allowing WAN users, but local access is fine.

Many thanks.

Darron.

Port 3030?  Apache normally runs on either 80 or 8080.  Of course, apache can run on any port, but these are the standard ports.

Also, you don't need to have two ports open.  Apache only requires that the port it is listening to is open.

Port 80 just gets my router.

If it turns out apache is listening to port 80, then I would say you have to go back and reconfigure the port forward.  By what you described, I think you did not forward it correctly.

I think the problem may be related to the config of apache not allowing WAN users, but local access is fine.

If this were true you would see an error message in the log file.  If you don't know how to read it, you can post it here.

Thanks guys, so it does work, just not locally by typing the wanp ip?

I have now only 1 port forwarded, port 8080

Also the Pc is in a dmz, can I now remove the DMZ rule?

Thorpe, thanks, if you see the wamp page, it must work.

can you tell me if this works please?

http://myip/newsigs/newpic20.jpg hit refresh a few times.

This is what i want working, a random sig generator and coppermine of course.

Thankyou again.

ps, is there a way of letting pc no.2 view this on a wan or is it not going to work at all?

Nope... the link you provided does not work. (After I replace myip with your ip).

ps, is there a way of letting pc no.2 view this on a wan or is it not going to work at all?

Whats wrong with accessing it via its LAN ip? Either that... or once you have a domain pointing to your WAN ip you can easily setup your hosts file for local DNS resolution. Im not a windows user but search for a file called hosts and add an entry something like...

yourlanip yourdomainname

There may be axamples in the file itself.

Typing your WAN ip from within the LAN will not work

That is weird because my site works if I type my WAN ip from within the LAN.  Maybe it is different depending on the DNS client that a user runs on their machine.

Also the Pc is in a dmz, can I now remove the DMZ rule?

Yes, once the port has been forwarded correctly, I would recommend disabling the DMZ.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.