PHP developed on IIS, run on Apache?

Greetings all.

I am in the process of building a web site with PHP/MySQL.

My development box is XP/IIS.

Yesterday I learned my hosting service only supports PHP on Linux/Apache boxes.

No offense to you Linux/Apache people, but I would perfer not to have to build a Linux/Apache box.

My question: after building the web site using IIS, will it run properly when uploaded to a Linux/Apache server? Or am I going to have to learn some Linux and Apache and build on that platform?

Thanks,

~Robert

My question: after building the web site using IIS, will it run properly when uploaded to a Linux/Apache server? Or am I going to have to learn some Linux and Apache and build on that platform?

As long as you don't use any Windows / IIS specific extensions and code with error reporting set to E_ALL with a recent configuration you shouldn't have too much trouble.

What you really ought to do is get both the php.ini files matched up. Make sure your dev box uses as similar configuration as possible.

I run Windows/IIS server at work, and I sometimes develop at home on Mac/Apache server.

The biggest problem I have is the line endings from the different editors. Which is only a code display thing and does not affect the code running.

Otherwise watch your file paths for includes or any files you may be reading. Obviously you will have trouble if you include a file like 'C:\path\file.inc' and then run it on anything other than Windows.

I also second the php.ini thing, try to make sure your Development environment and Deployment environment are as similar as possible.

• 1 month later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.