Getting Monthly totals

dcp

I'm a bit new to this, and I apologize in advance for my thickheadedness. I hope someone can help me with a suggestion.

I have two tables: programs and events. All events are categorized as a kind of program (and include a program id). I'm trying to get the monthly total for the number of participants in all events. All events have a month, year, and day field.

I start by getting the totals this way:

$query ="SELECT event_month, sum(number) as total_events FROM events WHERE year = '".$year."' AND program_id = '".$_GET['id']."' GROUP BY event_month ";

Then I get the result of the query and loop through the rows:

$result = mysql_query($query)

echo "<table>\n<tr>\n";
while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
$month = $year."-".$row['month']."-01";
$month_name = date('M', strtotime($month));
	echo "<td><div>".$month."</div>";
	echo "<div>".$row['total_events']."</div></td>";
	}
echo "</tr></table>\n\n\n"; 

This gets me close to what I want, which is a table with two rows, the name of the month on top and the total attendance for that month below. But I'd really like every month displayed--not just those for which there is data. So my output would be a table with 12 cells, Jan through Dec, and below each the total for that month, if it exists.

I imagine I ought to be using a for loop, but don't know where to begin. Any help would be appreciated. 

dcp

I am not sure this is the best way to do this but you can do a join query on a table with all the month names.

Month Table

monthNum (Primary)

monthName

Query would look like:

$query ="SELECT monthName, sum(number) as total_events FROM events right outer joind monthTable on (monthTable.monthNum = total_events.event_month WHERE year = '".$year."' AND program_id = '".$_GET['id']."' GROUP BY monthName";

The right outer join make it show all the rows in the month table.

Hope this helps...

"You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today." Abraham Lincoln

Company – Projects ($1 Iraq Stock PhotosSell Your Stock Images)

Thanks mwookie,

I like that approach for a number of reasons. But I'm still not getting all months from the "months" table. Here's the actual query I'm using:

SELECT months.id, months.name, sum(number) as total_events FROM pbb_events RIGHT OUTER JOIN months on (months.id = pbb_events.event_month) WHERE pbb_events.event_year = '2007' AND pbb_events.program_id = '156' GROUP BY months.name

It seems to be totaling correctly, but I get rows only where events have been entered.

SELECT monthtable.monthNum , monthtable.monthName , sum(events.number) AS total_events , events.month FROM monthtable

LEFT JOIN events ON monthtable.monthNum = events.month

WHERE events.yeah='2007'

This one will do it for you. Only works for one year though.

$query="SELECT monthtable.monthNum , monthtable.monthName , sum(events.number) AS total_events , events.month FROM monthtable
LEFT JOIN events ON monthtable.monthNum = events.month
WHERE events.yeah='2007' ";
$result=mysql_query($query);
$num=mysql_num_rows($result); // Will of course be 12 rows, 1 per month

$i=0;
while ($num > $i) {

$month=mysql_result($result,$i,"monthtable.monthName");
$attendants=mysql_result($result,$i,"total_events");

echo "<strong>$month</strong> - $attendants participants   <br />";

$i++;
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.