Language pack help...

ToonMariner

I have decided to create a similar method as a resource file for my language pack.  I have a table with a filed for each langugae and a filed for the key - this enables me to generate an array with the as listed in the database table and the corresponding string...

OK great...

When using characer sets like chinese and japanese I only see the <pre>??????</pre> or those infernal rectangles.  My databse can store the characters as they are (looks like Chinese in there!!!) but the page just won't play ball I have.

Will add this is on my onw development machine and not the live server...

Any help would be much appreciated.

(I use utf-8 as the encoding lang of the html page - is there some requirement for utf8_encode of is it something more fundamental).

well thats the thing - if you use the translator on dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/translate/) and put in your word/phrase its spits out the chinese that I can see.

if I cut and paste that directly into phpmyadmin it stores the string and appears as chinese. when I echo that out on my page i get the ?'s. If i try to paste the chinese chars into my html editor I get the rectangles.

If I store the unicode [pre]&#35831;&#24037;&#20316;[/pre] I get the chars I want.

go on miniclip and switch the language to chinese - if you look at the source code the chinese chars are in there.....

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.