Disable passing arrays in query string?

CoJaBo

Is there any way to stop PHP from turning a query string like this: ?var[] into an array when it is read by $_GET['var']?

I have quite a few input validations that are easily screwed up by this strange (and apparently undocumented???) feature...

Problem is all the validation code I've written assumes you can only pass strings in the query string.

Literally hours of searching revealed only a vague mention of this being possible.

Is there any way to disable it, or do I have to do something like this to work around it:

foreach($_GET as &$var){
$var=(string)$var;
}

Is this documented anywhere?

And does this apply only to the query string or are there ways to pass arrays and other non-string variables through other means such as POST and cookies??

I doubt you can disable it.

I assume your GET url has something like this in it: ?var[]=something

To access it, you can simply use var[0].

if this process is automated, you could do a quick is_array() check and use the [0] if it is and your normal function if it isn't.

First of all, you should never assume data is what it is suppose to be.

This is security rule number 1, NO ASSUMING!!!!!!

In your validation, simply check and make sure it is a string before doing any processing (or integer if the case).

checkout these functions:

intval()

is_int()

is_string()

is_array()

ctype_digit()

ctype_alnum()

Those should get you started! :)

Yeah, I know that...

Problem is I never knew it was possible to pass an array in the query string! :o

I already verify if something is supposed to be an integer with ctype_digit(), but text strings were being passed to other functions that would validate them or escape dangerous characters.

Turns out if most of them (including preg_match(), htmlspecialchars() and mysql_real_escape_string()) get an array they fail with an warning!

I can't even find this in the official documentation. Is it buried somewhere? Can anyone else find it?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.