[SOLVED] Column 'fname' in field list is ambiguous

ballhogjoni

What does this mean? Column 'fname' in field list is ambiguous

this is my code:

<?php 
	if (isset($_POST['search_fname'])) {
		$search_fname = $_POST['search_fname'];
		$query = "SELECT fname FROM contact_n_questions, dispo_callBack, dispo_client, dispo_demoSetup, dispo_money, dispo_notContacted, dispo_notInterested, dispo_time, dispo_tooSmall WHERE fname = '{$search_fname}'";
		$result = mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());
		if (!mysql_num_rows == "") {
			while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result) or die(mysql_error())) {
				echo $row['fname'].'<br>';
			}
		} else {
			echo 'No Records';
		}
	}
	?>

SELECT fname FROM contact_n_questions, dispo_callBack, dispo_client, dispo_demoSetup, dispo_money, dispo_notContacted, dispo_notInterested, dispo_time, dispo_tooSmall WHERE fname = '{$search_fname}'

I don't think that is right, it looks like you are trying to select "fname" from a bunch of different tables, why would you want to do that? Can you tell me what you are trying to do?

I want to find a specific record in the db. The thing is, i don't know which table the record is in. I don't knwo because the records change from one table to next based on certain criteria and that criteria changes on a daily bases. As the criteria changes the record is passed and then deleted from one table to the next.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.