Search and replace in full mysql database with php

nadz

im trying to add an option which allows the user to change their username. Usernames appear in my database in a number of tables under several fields. i thought rather than using UPDATE queries for each field there might be a query that allows me to update all cells in the db where for example the value is "user124".

i found this article but im not entirely sure how to use it in php:

http://vyaskn.tripod.com/sql_server_search_and_replace.htm

im using phpmyadmin if that makes it easier? any help would be appreciated

Usernames appear in my database in a number of tables under a several fields.

Sorry, but that wreaks of poor design right away. You shouldn't ever need to duplicate data.

i found this article but im not entirely sure how to use it in php:

The article you found is for MSSQL server, not MySql. There really is no easy way to acieve what you want.

hmmm, i didnt write the script, i know its terrible coding but the script does look and function nicely. i actually paid $300 for it and this is the only issue i have with it at the moment. Anyway, if there isnt a way to search the whole database is there any way to search at least a full table?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.