500 Error page?

ILYAS415

Okay i didnt no where else to post this so i posted it here. Whats happening is i have a file called:

index.html

and ive got a code in my .htaccess folder allowing me to force a php extension onto a file with no extension.

Now the problem is that when i change the file name to

Index

and try to visit the page. It always takes me to a 500 internal server error or something like that.

Please take a look...

www.ragingmortals.com/ilyastest/index.html <--- html extension

www.ragingmortals.com/ilyastest/Index <-- no extension

Also the reason i think its a server error is because it only happens in this folder plus .php files also dont work (it only appears to be to this file).

Ive checked through the file permissions and everything and it all seems okay to me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

okay i dont think i no wat this means but i think it says theres something wrong with the head tags?

heres the stuff from the error log:

Premature end of script headers: /home/------/public_html/------/Index

I just hid the username and folder names to hide the full path

In the server config file (httpd.conf) there's a section that defines file types with lines like:

AddType text/html .shtml

Well, your server is confused about that type that files is, as it has not extension to match to.

Now, you could try something crazy like AddType text/html * but I wouldn't recommend it.  I have no idea what security/stability issues that would produce.

If you use the MultiViews option, it may get you the same functionality, but it has it's own issues as well.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.