Submit query

sandy1028

Hi,

I have a submit query page. I receive mails from invalid email id. How to confirm whether the users email id is valid.

Receive the mails from users only when the email id is valid or not receive the mails from invalid email id...

How can I check the email

Please help me with this

View the header,

ie

MIME-Version: 1.0

Received: from server.######.com ([64.####.####.197]) by bay0-mc7-f11.bay0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.2668); Sat, 11 Aug 2007 01:23:22 -0700

Received: from ###.#######.net ([209.###.###.34])by server.######.com with esmtpa (Exim 4.67 (FreeBSD))(envelope-from <REAL@DOMAIN.com>)id 1IJmEo-0007Md-BZfor r#######@hotmail.com; Sat, 11 Aug 2007 08:22:22 +0000

X-Message-Delivery: Vj0zLjQuMDt1cz##2k9MDtsPTA7YT0w

X-Message-Info: 6sSXyD95QpU8d/9lfRH5Aptnba##MGrqt1ZEPdUCYU6Hd+4ZLrT9PbaxeFYdmNvSRTFdXjLysBiPWr0S8uSg==

X-Mailer: PHPMailer [version 1.73]

X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report

X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - #############.com

X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - hotmail.com

X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [26 6] / [26 6]

X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - #########.com

X-Source:

X-Source-Args:

X-Source-Dir:

Return-Path: webmaster@########.com

X-OriginalArrivalTime: 11 Aug 2007 08:23:22.0241 (UTC) FILETIME=[E154BF10:01C7DBF0]

i removed some details

You can not check whether or not an e-mail address exists without sending an e-mail to the e-mail address. All you can do is check the syntax / format of the e-mail address.

<?php

if(preg_match("/^([a-z0-9]+)([a-z0-9_-]*)([a-z0-9]+)@([a-z0-9]+)([a-z0-9-]*)([a-z0-9]+)\.([a-z]{1-3})/i")) {
    echo "Valid syntax";
}
else {
    echo "Invalid syntax";
}
?>

The above regex check whether or not the e-mail looks like email@address.com

*Maybe I have misunderstood what you are trying to do :)

that RegEx won't work

try

if (preg_match('/^\b[A-Z0-9._%+-]+@[A-Z0-9.-]+\.[A-Z]{2,4}\b$/si', $email)) {
echo "valid";
}

or fix the Wuhtzus one

change

([a-z]{1-3})

to

([a-z]{1,3})

but the Wuhtzu's one will fail on a few

ie

metest@hotmail.coop

me.test@hotmail.com

or

metest@nothing.com hello

Sorry aobut the {1-3} it should of course be {1,3} but I do not agree with you on the e-mail addresses which will fail validation...

My regex, if there is no more mis-typings, will check that the e-mail's local part starts and ends with a-z or 0-9, in between it can hold _ and - which is not allowed to occur at the start or end according to the standards. After that it check for almost the same thing with the domain, that it stats and ends with a-z or 0-9 and may hold a - (minus) in between but again not start or end with - according to domain name standards.

Of course you could (and maybe should) allow more signs like . (dot) + (plus) and % to be in between the start and end of the local part.

And of course ([a-z]{1,3}) is the quick tld check - to be accurate you have to check against an array of all current tlds :)

but i could always enter bill.gates@microsoft.com thats a valid email but he may not of posted.. without sending an email and getting a reply i don't see how you can do this,

side note:

heres a nice email validator

<?php function isValidAddress( $email, $check = false )
{

if (!ereg(''
      . '^'
      . '[-!#$%&\'*+/0-9=?A-Z^_a-z{|}~]'
      . '(\\.?[-!#$%&\'*+/0-9=?A-Z^_a-z{|}~])*'
      . '@'
      . '[a-zA-Z](-?[a-zA-Z0-9])*'
      . '(\\.[a-zA-Z](-?[a-zA-Z0-9])*)+'
      . '$'
      , $email
      )    ) return false;
  list( $local, $domain ) = split( "@", $email, 2 );
  if ( strlen($local) > 64 || strlen($domain) > 255 ) return false;
  if ( $check && !gethostbynamel( $domain ) ) return false;
  return true;

}
?>

@Wuhtzu, this is what you should use as will fail on a few check the examples i posted

"^[a-z0-9_\+-]+(\.[a-z0-9_\+-]+)*@[a-z0-9-]+(\.[a-z0-9-]+)*\.([a-z]{2,4})$";

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.