IP addresses

magnetica

Just a quick question for you lovely people!

I know that my IP is the same as my dads who is sitting downsatairs.

Is this the same for schools, uni's, companies etc. For example in a school are all the IP on the computers the same or changed.

Please note i'm not on about local IP's here

Schools will stay the same on every computer because most schools will have a router, meaning that all the computers is linked to one gateway to the internet.

The Schools and universities will only have a different IP address per computer if there are more than one gateway to the internet.

Or, if they do not have an Static IP.

Every computer has two IP addresses(most of them), one for local are connections, and the other that is used for internet.

Yea makes sense!

I asked this because i have a voting system and i want to make it so users can only vote once a say.

If i say that one IP can vote once in a day, this would mean i might be blocking out some school kids that wont be able to vote.

Whats a better way of doing this? Cookies maybe?

have a simple database to store votes and have a email field, when someone votes display a message saying

for your vote to count please click the link sent to your email
, that like will validate the email and the vote (bit like user remembership activation)

does that make more sence ?

• 2 weeks later...
what if you have a dynamic IP, using either dialup or dsl? If I unplug my router for a few min, it gives me a new ip address.

You don't even need to unplug your router. Dynamic ips can change automatically between requests.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.