[SOLVED] MySQL dead

rtpmatt

It seems that my MySQL server has died...or something, im really nut sure what to do to fix it (im not exactly a guru) when i try to start it with

sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start

i get this:

Starting MySQL database server: mysqld.
...failed or took more than 6s.
        Please take a look at the syslog.
/usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' exists!
[2]-  Done                    sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start >/dev/null 2>&1

I don't ever really start it manually, it normally just starts when I restart, or if I REALLY need to I use webmin, but i wanted to give some output  :P

I really don't know what happened, or what I did, I havn't been using it for much other than some simple image hosting lately.  I havn't added anything to the database in the last couple weeks.

I'm not too worried i suppose, but I would REALLY like to be able to backup my databases.  Is there any easy way i can copy them (ie: specifically what files can i copy etc.)  My server could use a reinstall i suppose.

Also if someone can direct me to where i can start looking for some help to get it working that would be nice.  If i can get it working without reinstalling, that would be a lot easier for me.

I am running the Ubuntu LAMP server v6.06 i believe

thanks for any help

-matt

PS: Apache seems fine if you need to know

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.