array security question

sandrob57

ok, im going to have an array to show how many "technologies" a user has unlocked.

$user['tech']

^^ that would mean the user has no technologies

$user['tech'][1] = 1

$user['tech'][2] = 1

$user['tech'][4] = 1

^^ that would mean tech's 1,2 and 4 are unlocked

How the data is stored is db for the example above is like this:

[user_id][tech_id]

1            1

1            2

1            4

To set the variable $user['tech'], i just do a querry/array of all the rows in the db where there is your user_id

Then I do a for_each for the database result and it will set $user['tech'][THE TECH ID] = 1

However, couldn't someone just go to "mysite.com/index.php?user['tech']['8'] = 1" and suddenly have tech 8?

How do I avoid this? Can I delete an array before playing with it? Is there a smarter way to get this data?

No, but you see, it doesn't set EACH variable. If you dont have ID 8 in your database (as purchased), then it woudl leave it blank. Example:

$user['tech'][6] = 1

$user['tech'][7] = 1

$user['tech'][9] = 1

8 Isn't set, so it ins't purchased. Then someone could just put "user['tech'][8]=1" in the URL and have it.

I don't think you have anything to worry about if you're not using the query string. Perhaps try to "hack" it as you think could be done and see what happens. If you continue to have errors give us an example and some code and perhaps we can help you out.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.