[SOLVED] Interesting (?) Apache access.log question

AIVAS

Ok. I can't seem to figure this one out but then I'm no Apache Guru. Oh heck I can compile it, install it, secure it and configure it but this one's got me puzzled.

I've read all of the documentation I can find, I've googled a number of different (yet similar) search terms and I'm still sitting on the fence as to whether or not this is possible. :-\

I need to log access to Apache from a specific external IP to a separate log file. Whoa. Before you say well that's easily done, let me add the twist. I already have a log condition which doesn't log access from the LAN.

Basically I need to log all external access except this specific IP which needs to go to a separate log file (and NOT to the main one) and deny logging for LAN access.

I have:

SetEnvIf Remote_Addr "192\.168\.1\.*" DontLogLAN=1

CustomLog "access.log" combined env=!DontLogLAN

Now I'd like to add:

SetEnvIf Remote_Addr "external IP here" ExternalIP=1

and change the above CustomLog line to:

CustomLog "access.log" combined env=!DontLogLAN env=!ExternalIP=1

and add

CustomLog "externalIP_access.log" combined env=ExternalIP

so I would end up with:

SetEnvIf Remote_Addr "192\.168\.1\.*" DontLogLAN=1

SetEnvIf Remote_Addr "external IP here" ExternalIP=1

CustomLog "access.log" combined env=!DontLogLAN env=!ExternalIP=1

CustomLog "externalIP_access.log" combined env=ExternalIP

This is a live production server and I don't have the time or resources to set up a test unit (not even virtually). I'm busy enough that I was lucky to find enough time to research this much.

ANY assistance would be appreciated.

I like a good challenge :)

Here you go:

SetEnvIf Remote_Addr 192\.168\.1\.*|188.5.5.1 DontLog

SetEnvIf Remote_Addr "188.5.5.1" ExternalIP

CustomLog /var/log/apache2/access.log combined env=!DontLog

CustomLog /var/log/apache2/access1 combined env=ExternalIP

Replace 188.5.5.1 with your "External IP".

Let us know how it goes for you.

-steve

The PIPE character!  :-[ Doh!  :o

Didn't even think about that method. Of course I still wouldn't have been sure and would've posted here anyway. ::)

There really should be a decent tutorial somewhere about SetEnvIf. I looked in a number of places a couldn't find anything. While the Apache documentation is adequate it's only just that - adequate. At no point does it broach anything like this (of course this is fairly unique).

Anyway seems to works fine. It'll have to run for a few days until I'm positive but the one entry has worked so I don't see why any others wouldn't. Thanks.

Note to anyone who might try anything like this:

BACK UP YOUR WORKING .CONF FILE FIRST!!!!!!

Just in case you type something wrong, that will affect Apache and you'll have downtime. A backup of a known working .conf will allow you to replace the problem and get back up and running very quickly. Go fix the problem and try again - always making sure you have a backup of that working copy.

I learned this the hard way many, many, many years ago  :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.