Spanning the whole page...

V-Man

Alright, Maybe I'm going about this all wrong.  I need to get a table to take up the whole page regardless of wether there is content to fill it or not.  The code I have thus far is:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="style.css" type="text/css">
<style type="text/css">
</style>
</head>

<body leftmargin='0' rightmargin='0' topmargin='0' bottommargin='0' marginheight='0' marginwidth='0'>
<table width="739" height="240" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
  <tr>
    <td width="20" background="images/left_grad.jpg"> </td>
    <td width="699" background="images/header.jpg" valign="bottom">

<table width="100%" height="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
      <tr>
        <td width="76%" height="188"><div align="center" class="title">
          <p>Champlain Valley Outfitters </p>
          <p class="nav">Offering only the best <br />
            in traditional waterfowl hunts </p>
        </div></td>
        <td width="24%"> </td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
        <td height="26" colspan="2" class="nav"> <div align="center">:: Home :: Services :: Articles :: Recipes :: Guest Book :: Contact Us :: </div></td>
        </tr>
    </table></td>
    <td width="20" background="images/right_grad.jpg"> </td>
  </tr>
</table>

<table width="739" height="100%" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
  <tr>
    <td width="699" background="images/bot_grad.jpg"> </td>
  </tr>
</table>

<table width="739" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
  <tr>
    <td width="699" background="images/bot_grad.jpg"><div align="center" class="copyright">© 2008 Champlain Valley Outfitters <br />Site designed and maintained by Pat Litke in conjunction with MDM Solutions</div></td>
  </tr>
</table>
</body>
</html>

I thought by setting the center table height to 100% would make it .. well, you know, 100% of the page height.  But no.  The closest example that I can find of what I need (though, NOT full page width, a fixed width of 739 w/ a column down each side thats 20px wide) is located:  here

Is this making sense?  On the example I linked above, see how the footer is at the bottom of the page no matter what?  Thats what I need to do.  ..

Im not talking about width.  Height my boy, HEIGHT!  No matter how much or how little "content" is in the main part of the page, I need the footer/bottom to always be attatched to the bottom of the screen...

:)

sorry - not got reading glasses on (think I amy have a bit of dyslexia!!!)

well first off - drop the tables divs are far superior for layout.... (whole debate which will ensue where people argue over relative merits - I stop that by saying tables for layout have no merits what so ever)

when you have done that - give all parent elements 100% height and position relative. then give the footer position: absolute; bottom: 0;

Oh god, this could take a very long while to finish as i have never used div's other than for alignment...  shiit... well, ill see what i can get done.  Im more of a PHP person, not so much HTML, can you tell? :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.