intalling PECL extensions

i am trying to install the APC (http://pecl.php.net/package/APC) extension for PHP 5.

i am trying to compile using phpize but when i do the make install it installs the extension to another version of php on my system.. i tried moving the apc.so file into the PHP5 extensions directory but when i do that Apache wont start. My question is, how do i get phpize and make install to compile the extension on PHP5 rather then the old PHP on my system?

This is an installation question. It should be in "PHP Installation".

phpize is running for the old installation. Find phpize for the installation you're trying to install the module on, and run it directly.

Same thing if you try PECL. Run it directly from the directory it's in. If you just type "pecl" you're going to have the same problem as you are with phpize. Because the phpize that's in /usr/bin (assuming unix/linux) is for the old version.

i can't seem to get PECL to work and i can't find it anywhere in my PHP 5 installation. i am runing PHP 5 on Mac OS X. i tried running phpize from the usr/local/php5/bin path where the current version of PHP's phpize resides. after running phpize and ./configure everything seems to work ok... but when i try to "make" i get:

make: *** [apc.la] Error 1

i didn't get that when i compiled for the old php. any ideas?

ok well i figured out the error problem by deleting the APC folder, re-extracting it and starting over.... but running phpize from the php5 directory didn't work.. the extension still ended up in the usr/lib/php/extensions rather than usr/local/php5/lib/php/extensions... Any help would be amazing...

P.S.

(it did look like it was phpize-ing for the current version though, when it spits out the PHP API version and the Zend Module Api No at the start of phpize but after running ./configure, make and make install it ends up in a different extensions directory)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.