SELECT FROM 2 TABLES

gordo2dope

ok, well i had this problem in the past when selecting from 2 tables to add to a shopping cart functions.  But the solution does not seem to work in this situation.  I'm trying to SELECT from 2 tables for a SEARCH feature.  here is the sample of code im using for the query.

I need to SELECT from table "mczippo1" and table "partsitems".  I have tried doing a UNION, JOIN, JOIN LEFT.  I also tried making 2 seperate queries and creating a third function that = the 2 queries.  this sample below has just 1 table.  This is the code that works. anything other than this gives me an error. Please take a crack at it and add whatever to also search from table "partsitems".

[pre]

$strSQL = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `mczippo1`
WHERE Detail LIKE '%$search%' 
OR Partnum LIKE '%$search%' 
OR THEME LIKE '%$search%'
OR Cat1 LIKE '%$search%' 
OR Cat2 LIKE '%$search%' 
AND OnHand > MinQty GROUP BY Style ORDER BY OnHand Desc");

$anymatches=mysql_num_rows($strSQL);

[/pre]

here is the union i tried... i also tried it as a join and join left, but nothing.  also tried just the 1st section as 'mczippo1,'partsitems' and it didnt work either.

[pre]

$strSQL = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `mczippo1`
OR THEME LIKE '%$search%'
OR Cat1 LIKE '%$search%' 
OR Cat2 LIKE '%$search%' 
AND OnHand > MinQty GROUP BY Style ORDER BY OnHand Desc
UNION
SELECT * FROM `partsitems`
OR Cat1 LIKE '%$search%' 
OR Cat2 LIKE '%$search%' 
AND OnHand > MinQty ORDER BY OnHand Desc");

$anymatches=mysql_num_rows($strSQL);

[/pre]

they have the same fields, some are different, but the ones i need to retrieve are the same.  that was the problem I had with my other UNION for the shopping cart that I had. however this can't be the same case because they are the same exact fields that it needs to search for.... ?

they have the same fields, some are different, but the ones i need to retrieve are the same.  that was the problem I had with my other UNION for the shopping cart that I had. however this can't be the same case because they are the same exact fields that it needs to search for.... ?

If "some are different" then you need to specifically list the ones you want.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.