[SOLVED] explain "return == ? : ;" please

Ryokotsusai

I have an old somewhat broken script that I am trying to get working again, and there is a weird statement that comes up quite a bit

$something['this'] == 'abc' ? 'def' : 'ghi';

I can't for the life of me figure out what it is trying to do  :(

any help would be greatly appreciated  ;)

wow, there is a lot out there, i thought ==, != and all those were only for use in an if/while/etc

there is a lot of stuff i still need to learn  :P

EDIT>>

actually that has confused me too, so forgive for being a little slow with this, but what exactly is this evaluating for the second statement:

return $settings['ses_type'] == 'adv' ? 'ses' : 'tname'

If...

return $settings['ses_type'] == 'adv' ? 'ses' : 'tname';

is the actual code, it is exactly the same as...

<?php

if ($settings['ses_type'] == 'ses') {
   return true;
 } else {
   return false;
 }

?>

To be honest though... that snippet makes little sense. maybe this is part of the reason your somewhat broken script is somewhat broken.

This part...

'adv' ? 'ses' : 'tname';

Is a ternary operator that checks if the first expression is true, if so it returns the second expression, else it returns the third. The expression 'adv' will always be true, so this ternary operator will always return 'ses'. having te first expression hard coded like that simply makes no sense.

just to correct thorpe a little, the equivalent of this:

return $settings['ses_type'] == 'adv' ? 'ses' : 'tname';

is this:

if ($settings['ses_type'] == 'adv')
{
  return 'ses';
}
else
{
  return 'tname';
}

it uses the portion before the question mark as the condition, returning (since the line begins with the return command) 'ses' if true, 'tname' if false.

if it returns, tname, there is nothing that can use that in the situation it comes up in, so i have no idea what was going on anyway

+

if it returns ses it needs tname  ??? so i got nothing on this

but now at least i understand what is going on when i see == ? : ; come up again

Personally I suggest against writing code that looks like that. It can save you a few lines of code but the meaning as to what you're trying to accomplish is much more clear the other way... and as you're finding out when you go back to a script it's hard to figure out what you were doing months ago when you last worked on it. I typically try to always stay on the side of readability.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.