[SOLVED] Checking my Encrypted Password

Northern Flame

I am creating a membership program and in my database i have a table that stores the basic user info.

When they login my script checks for username first, and then for the password.

I want it to check for the encrypted password, but whenever I try that it displays my error

message, "Invalid Password!". How do I have the unencrypted password match the encrypted password?

Somewhere once I saw someone say to use "md5($pass)" but that didnt work. Any suggestions?

What did you use to encrypt the passowrd? If you used md5 (which by the way is a hash, not encryption) you would use something like...

<?php

$uname = trim($_POST['uname']);
  $upass = md5(trim($_POST['upass']));

$sql = "SELECT uname,upass FROM users WHERE uname = '$uname' && upass = '$upass'";

?>

Read the mysql manual entry for the PASSWORD function. It is not to be used by client code, it is an internal mysql function.

If all your passwords have already been encrypted via PASSWORD() you will have troubles in the future. MySql will not guarantee the algorithms used to create PASSWORDed passowrds will not change over time. Hence, do NOT use it.

Use MD5.

Then, follow the example I posted above to do your check.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.