Hi,

I have this bit of code:

class bla {

static public function foo () {

}

}

$classname = "bla";

$classname::foo ();

in my installation of PHP 5.2.4RC1 (OpenSuSE 10.2), this works fine. On another server with PHP 5.2.2, this results in

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_PAAMAYIM_NEKUDOTAYIM in /www/htdocs/w0088307/blog/version/test/tt2.php on line 9

(PAAMAYIM_NEKUDOTAYIM appears to mean double colon (::)).

Can anyone tell me if this is a change between version 5.2.2 and 5.2.4 (I did not find anything in the ChangeLog), or if this is a configuration problem? Is the above code legal at all?

Best Regards,

Arno

Looks legal to me, I use this type of stuff quite a bit without issue. I can't say Ive tried with static methods though.

Changes between 5.2.2 and 5.2.4 should merely be bug fixes, not feature changes. I'm sorry, but I can't think of any config option that may cause this either.

> What about bla::foo(); I think that is what you are looking for.

Well, the whole point of using a variable $classname is that I don't know which class I will be using in advance. Otherwise I would obviously use the classname directly as you suggest. But thanks anyway.

I'm at home now using 5.2.2 I get the same error as you. It must be a caveat with static methods. This....

<?php

class bla {
    public function foo () {
        echo "foo!";
    }
}

$class = 'bla';
$obj = new $class;
$obj->foo ();

?>

works as expected, but obviously its not what you want. Sorry, but I can't seem to help.

> $class = 'bla';

> $obj = new $class;

> $obj->foo ();

Yes, that was what I used as a workaround so far, but I just found a hint in the PHP doc on the "scope resolution operator" (double colon) and they had another workaround that is somewhat more elegant and does not require instantiating an object:

eval ("$classname::foo ();");

or, with an additional parameter and return value:

eval ("\$result = $classname::foo (\$parameter);");

(note the escaped $ signs).

There was a discussion that $class::foo() does not work, but why it suddenly started working in version 5.2.4 is still an interesting question. Maybe it was regarded as a bug fix. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a change log yet for the 5.2.4 release candidates.

Thanks anyway for your help and effort.

Though I can't seem to find it on their website, I found something that claimed this to be part of the changelog: "Added possibility to call static class members using variables."

It would seem you can't do it in previous version.

Yes, that's most likely it. Thanks a lot for the info.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.