Join/normalize help!

gigantorTRON

Hey guys! I'm a semi n00bie here and I am having a really hard time with this new project. What I'm needing to do is create a new table that pulls data in from existing legacy system tables. For example...

I'm making a table like this one..

| InventoryID | InventoryDesc | InventoryType

The data to populate this table has to come from other tables which are arranged in a hierarchical fashion. I can select InventoryID straight in from Table A. To get the inventory description though, I have to get an inventoryDescription ID from Table A and then use that to reference the description field of table B and UPDATE my table. Finally, to get an inventoryType I have to get the inventory description ID from table A, pull the inventoryType ID from table B and then use that result to pull the inventoryType text from table C to UPDATE the table. So it all looks something like this... * is columns I need to pull in.

Table C:        InventoryTypeID      InventoryTypeDescr.*      InventoryTypeCount

Table B:      InventoryDescID      InventoryDescText*      InventoryTypeID

Table A:        InventoryID*      InventoryDescID    InventoryCount

Destination Table:      InventoryID      InventoryDescText      InventoryTypeDescr

I'm sure that this requires some sort of join which unfortunately I'm not too great with.

Any help??  ???

Try this:

insert into destinationTable ( InventoryID, InventoryDescText, InventoryTypeDescr )
select a.inventoryID, b.InventoryDescText, c.InventoryTypeDescr
from tableA as a
join tableB as b on ( a.InventoryDescID = b.InventoryDescID )
join tableC as c on ( c.InventoryTypeID = b.InventoryTypeID )

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.