[SOLVED] quick question (Code request)

ccrevcypsys

Hey guys i just have a question.

I need a code to hide the whole data base pull so that it says exampl... then when they hover over that it says the full name.

so heres another example

Artist | Song | Album

Slipknot | The Heretic A... | Iowa

Then on mouse hover it says The Heretic Anthem?

anyone have anything like that or know where i can get it?

Ok well i took that code and implimented my own code to make it work for my site. But the thing is it isnt working. It posts the first and last name but doesnt put the ...

and i know the class is different then most the $view_cat->assign("TXT_ARTIST", $shortTrack); is the echo

<?php
        $trackname = $productResults[$i]['firstName']." ". $productResults[$i]['lastName'];
$shortTrack = (strlen($trackname>10) ?substr($trackname,0,."...":$trackname);
$view_cat->assign("TXT_ARTIST", $shortTrack);
?>
[/code

Do u know where i can get this java script code?

Try using:

$shortTrack = strlen($trackname) > 10 ? substr($trackname,0,."...": $trackname;

However, you're going to need to be echoing some javascript along with this too if you want to allow people to hover over the text to show the whole lot.

Here's an example of how it might work:

<script type="text/javascript">
function showall(id,text){
document.getElementById(id).innerHTML=text
}
function showshort(id,text){
document.getElementById(id).innerHTML=text
}
</script>
<span id="test" onmouseover="showall(this.id,'the full text')" onmouseout="showshort(this.id,'the full...')">the full...</span>

However, that would simply make everything wider. I guess what you're really after is some sort of tooptip to appear above the text. I know there are lots of these that you can find on the web. I suggest you google.

If all you want is some simple popup text (i.e. no formatting) - then you do not need javascript. Just simply use the title attribute. If it will be a link, use the title attribute inside the link tag. If it is just text on the screen that you want the popup on, put the text in a span with the title attribute. Works in IE and FF.

<span title="A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush">A bird in the hand is...</span>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.