Putting my server out there

davidsleet

Okay, I'll be the first to admit that I'm new to Apache, so please don't fault me for that; but here's my inquiry:

I've spoken to other people who host their own server, and, for example, link me to their ip, and I can view it, like a normal website. These people just run an apache server, but what I don't know is how they get it on the internet, for others to view. Now I have no problem setting up my server in displaying pages on localhost, put obviously, no-one else can see this.

However, upon entering my IP address, it just bring up a page about my router information.

Basically what I'm asking, is what steps would I need to take to be able to let any else see my website/connect to my server?

Thanks in advance  :)

I've forwarded port 80 to my local IP address, but it still doesn't seem to be working. Here is what I have:

ipxf1.png

That shows my local IP address on the network.

portnt9.png

And that's what I've set port 80 to forward to.

However, wiht those steps taken, it still doesn't seem to be working.

Any suggestions on why?

Thanks for your response by the way  ;)

I am having the same problem. It's making me very frustrated.

I am 100% sure I have forwarded the correct ports through my router, and I have disabled all firewalls/security. Also, i'm posotive my ISP doesn't block the port. it still seems to not work.

I can access my own pages, and so can other computers on my network, but no one outside of my network can..

I am completely out of ideas. Someone help me out? I'm running Windows XP. I have no idea what the problem is.

Any help would be appreciated!

Well I have realized now that it has something to do with my router.

My connection goes through a Netgear router, which then goes through a Qwest DSL modem (my ISP), and then to the internet.

No matter how I Configure them, they both seem to block incoming traffic.. (no matter what port i use!) Hell I even configured them to forward ports 1-50000! (which is almost all of my ports!) I did a port scan after, and all of those ports are still closed..

What's going on.. All changes I make to my router/modem seem to not take any effect  ???

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.