help with combining a few columns into one column

deezin

???

Hello. I am transferring data from one script to another script and the new software that I downloaded requires that I have multiple items separated by | in one field. The way I have it now is in 4 different fields. The way it is set up is like this:

Table  Freelancers

Field1  expertise1

Field2  expertise2

Field3  expertise3

Field4  expertise4

Each of these fields have one integer in each of them representing a specific occupation. Each freelancer had 4 occupations that they could choose. This is the data from the old site. On the new site, there is also a list of occupations (in a text file) that is different from the old list. For example, web design = 4 on the old site, and web design = 24 on the new site. So I want to take the 4 occupations (expertise1, expertise2, expertise3, and expertise4) and combine them in a 5th field.  I set up a 5th field called specif_occupation to combine the data in ... the information should look something like this when combined |4|5|8|14|76|

I only need to know how to combine the 4 fields into 1 field. I could figure out the rest (probably, I'm out of practice).

Thank you for your help.

Rachel

I assume u know how to handle with mysql db. So u can try smth like this:

$query = mysql_query('SELECT ocup1, ocup2, ocup3, ocup4 FROM users');
while($values = mysql_fetch_array($query)){
   $combined = $values['ocup1'] . '|' . $values['ocup2'] . '|' . $values['ocup3'] . '|' . $values['ocup4'];
   $queryUpdate = mysql_query("UPDATE users SET specific_ocup='$combined'");
}

Hope its what u mean and it helped.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.