read from a txt file and insert into db

ameriblog

I want to upload a text file (or open/read one already uploaded on the server) and take it's contents and insert it into the database. The format of the text file is:

Miami 31, Marshall 3

Northern Colorado 6, Hawaii 63

I usually have 100+ games a week in a text file. These four fields should be entered into the team1_name, team1_score, team2_name, and team2_score fields of the database table.

I've dealt before with fopen and fputs, but really haven't dealt with opening/reading a text file and taking it's contents into the database.

Say the scores file is scores.txt and it is in the same directory on the server.

In your example, "Miami" is the team name and "31" is the team score? If so:

<?php
$handle = fopen('file.txt');
$lines = fread($handle, filesize('file.txt'));
$content = explode(', ', $lines);
foreach($content as $value){
     $value = explode(' ', $value);
     $tname = $value[0];
     $tscore = $value[1];
     $results = mysql_query("INSERT INTO table (team_name, team_score) VALUES ('$tname', '$tscore')");
}
?>

Hope its what u wanted and the code helps.

In your example, "Miami" is the team name and "31" is the team score? If so:

<?php
$handle = fopen('file.txt');
$lines = fread($handle, filesize('file.txt'));
$content = explode(', ', $lines);
foreach($content as $value){
     $value = explode(' ', $value);
     $tname = $value[0];
     $tscore = $value[1];
     $results = mysql_query("INSERT INTO table (team_name, team_score) VALUES ('$tname', '$tscore')");
}
?>

Hope its what u wanted and the code helps.

It does very much. The one issue I have for now, is that the table is setup so team1_name, team1_score, team2_name, team2_score. So for each row the team on the left would get entered for team1_name and team1_score and the teams right of the comma would be team2_name and team2_score.

Names like "Northern Colorado" which contain a space screw it up if you just try to split on spaces.

try

<?php
$lines = file('scores.txt');
foreach ($lines as $line)
{
    $team = $score = array();
    $teamscore = explode(',', $line);
    foreach ($teamscore as $k=>$ts)
    {
        $x = strrpos($ts, ' ');
        $team[$k] = trim(substr($ts,0,$x));
        $score[$k] = trim(substr($ts,$x));
    }
    $sql = "INSERT INTO table (team1_name, team1_score, team2_name, and team2_score)
            VALUES ('$team[0]', '$score[0]', '$team[1]', '$score[1]')";

echo "<pre>$sql</pre><br>";
}
?>

<?php
$handle = fopen('file.txt', 'w');
while(!feof($handle)){
  $line = fgets($handle, 4096);
  $teams = explode(',', $line); //u have [0]=>'Miami 31' [1]=>'Marshall 3'
  list($team1name, $team1score) = explode(' ', $teams[0]);
  list($team2name, $team2score) = explode(' ', $teams[1]);
  $results = mysql_query("INSERT INTO teams (team1_name, team1_score, team2_name, team2_score) VALUES ('$team1name', '$team1score', '$team2name', '$team2score'))");
  }
?>

Guess this does it. U could use also file() for getting each line but i find it better to use fopen() and associated functions for each occasion.

@GG

I've just pointed out that the spaces in the team name will screw it up, yet you persist!

Your results

[pre]

INSERT INTO teams (team1_name, team1_score, team2_name, team2_score) VALUES ('Miami', '31', '', 'Marshall')

INSERT INTO teams (team1_name, team1_score, team2_name, team2_score) VALUES ('Northern', 'Colorado', '', 'Hawaii')

INSERT INTO teams (team1_name, team1_score, team2_name, team2_score) VALUES ('', '', '', '')

[/pre]

Have you considered testing before posting?

I was writing my post when u posted so i didnt see the thing about the space. Usually i test my code when im not sure about something, but in this case didnt think of the space in the teams. Actually i didnt even notice it. Im no php pro (im just a Sr. Helper, not a Genius :P) so bear me for any mistake  :-[

EDIT: Timma got it right  :)

6 minute difference. A previous post would be notified. No excuse

If your posting that seriosuly (guessing yes) then im pretty stunned. I saw the notice but didnt go and see the actual post. I spent lets say 5 minutes to write a code for someone who is having a problem, with my good will for helping him. If my code isnt 100% right then he can use yours, or correct mine to fit his needs. This is a help forum so even posts which point to the right direction are considered good help. Anyway i dont wanna start an arguement here. I just didnt see your post and im bringing no excuses.

If, when I post, I get a warning that that there is another post, I take the trouble to read it. If it solves the problem I back off, unless I have a plausible alternative. In addition, I usually test my code before posting so I don't waste people's time. Code that doesn't work doesn't help.

So yes, I am serious.

Sure, i usually test code too. Im not that good to right several lines of code and be sure that will work in the way i needed. Further testing and adjusting may result with how i wanted the code. In this occasion, as i previously said i didnt notice the space between teams, thats why i posted the code. I said it and im repeating it, i try to help with as much as i know and im ready to read articles just to have a good answer for someone in trouble. Dont know why u're being so "harsh" for such a small thing anyway. U could have just said that my code doesnt fully work and i would have got the message.

U could have just said that my code doesnt fully work and i would have got the message.

That's exactly my point - I did point it out and you didn't get the message, you just ignored it - the post you were warned about, but chose to ignore and post anyway, explicitly stated, right at the start, that spaces in team names would give  problems.

I think we both are loosing time here, but as im concerned of mine, actually im loosing my time here. If this makes u happy: u are the chosen one of php and ure always right. Dependless what i say u still repeat the same things. Man ure just a moderator, not a judge. If i care to post helpless code (even if i wont) i can post it as far as a global announcement says not to and u cant do nothing about it. Didnt want to catch with u personally in any way, but u being kinda superior just bothers me. If u think my posts are rubbish and im helfpul to none go ahead and delete them, as u have the power for such things.

To end it, i read your post after i posted mine. I saw u posted but had just a quick look at the code without noticing the first line of text, also thinking it is another approach similiar to my code. When i returned to the topic i read carefully what u wrote. Is this such a fatal mistake? Will i suffer the flames of hell for this?? I dont think really.

U are being superior (at least trying to) from the fact that ive explained the whole thing (if i did a crime!!) several times and u still "accuse" me for the same things over and over. For the "problems" u mentioned, do u refer to my posts generally or for this topic only? As usually those are things i do.

I dont wanna keep on this conversation as its being totally off topic. If u have time to spend send me PMs and ill spend my time to explain u over and over again. I really respect your programming knowledge and for being a very helpful and active person. Dont want to change my opinion for such a not important thing.

Thanks, both of you. I have this code, for some reason it is only entering the first line into the database:

<?php

require ( "dbconnex.php" );

$lines = file('wv_scores.txt');
foreach ($lines as $line)
{
    $team = $score = array();
    $teamscore = explode(',', $line);
    foreach ($teamscore as $k=>$ts)
    {
        $x = strrpos($ts, ' ');
        $team[$k] = trim(substr($ts,0,$x));
        $score[$k] = trim(substr($ts,$x));
    }

$games_rs = $conn->Execute ( "INSERT INTO wvhs_gm (team1_name, team1_score, team2_name, team2_score, game_year, team1, team2, game_extra, game_extra1, game_date, game_fixed) VALUES ('$team[0]', '$score[0]', '$team[1]', '$score[1]', 2007, 0, 0, 'NA', 'NA', '" . $_GET['date'] . "', 0)" ) or die ( $conn->ErrorMsg() );
$add_rating_rs = $conn->Execute($sql) or die ( $conn->ErrorMsg() );	

}
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.