[SOLVED] Preview Button

Fadion

Im working on this custom cms where the site admin can edit articles in a wysiwyg editor. I had an idea to make a preview button which opens a new window with the real site template and preview the content of the editor (textarea) in the template. I am not figuring out how to make that button open the new page and get the value of the textarea in the same time. What i have so far is post the data after a button is pressed and check with isset($_POST['preview_btn']) if is pressed preview or submit, but i have no idea how to automatically open a new window after this. Any suggestion should be very helpful.

Thats what ive done, submit the form. The problem is that how can i open a new window with code after i submit the form. Lets say:

if(isset($_POST['preview'])){
    $text = $_POST['textarea']; //load the text of the textarea
    //then...
}

@teng84 what do u mean? Even with ajax i may have the same problem  :(

@timma thats how the script works, posts to itslef but as ive said it several time, what dont realize is how to open a new window after the form is submitted. If i use "onClick='window.open('somefile.php')" on the preview button, i wont have the post data of the textarea. Am i being clear, or u need any other info?

@teng84 what do u mean? Even with ajax i may have the same problem  :(

@timma thats how the script works, posts to itslef but as ive said it several time, what dont realize is how to open a new window after the form is submitted. If i use "onClick='window.open('somefile.php')" on the preview button, i wont have the post data of the textarea. Am i being clear, or u need any other info?

ajax can do that i have done something like that when the user clicks the name the window appear containing the value for the text box no diff with text area

I was just thinking of a way in javascript and ended with:

onclick="alert(document.getElementById('textarea').value);"

but im getting the initial value of the textarea, not the changed text. I just know some simple basic stuff in javascript so if u can explain it well and possibly provide some code, it would be great.

EDIT: Probably i had to mention im using TinyMCE editor as my textareas.

<html>
<head>
<script type="text/javascript">
function alertValue()
  {
  alert(document.getElementById('txt1').value);
  }
</script>
</head>
<body>

<textarea id="txt1">

</textarea>
<br />
<input type="button" onclick="alertValue()" 
value="Alert value" />

</body>
</html>

that works with alert it will work in ajax for sure, i dont want to code that whole thing but with this you can have a great start ;D ;D 

That still does not resolve his main problem, getting the information that a user typed into that box.

i dont know how and why GG want this but its doesnt look good to refresh the page to see the preview on the other window LOL

for sure that dont solved the prob but if GG know AJAX then prob is solve

As it is a cms, i want the client to preview the content of the article before submiting. Actually it isnt very important, but just a feature i wanted to add and a "challenge" for myself. But i thought it a lot more easy in the beginning. Im no ajax expert but i doubt it would resolve my problem  :(

If you test my sample it shows an alert box displaying what yuo have type in your text area dude it no diff opening a new window to preview this may take a bit of work. see this sample sorry if i cant code this one for you but start here

http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_ajax_database.asp

I hope you know how to open a new window using JS so iguess you can do this one

I test the javascript thing to get the textarea value, but as i previously said it shows the original value, not the modified one. For opening a new window with JS i can use window.open() but thats not my problem. What would i need ajax? What i want is get the value of the textarea and open a new window.

In this forum, the preview area is on top of the editor. I can easily do that, but i want to open a new window as i cant preview a real site template inside a small area.

Anyway thanks for helping.

<html>
<head>
<script type="text/javascript">
function alertValue()
  {
  //alert(document.getElementById('txt1').value);

myWindow=window.open('','','width=200,height=100')
myWindow.document.write(document.getElementById('txt1').value)
myWindow.focus()

}
</script>
</head>
<body>

<textarea id="txt1">
Hello world....This is a text area
</textarea>
<br />
<input type="button" onClick="alertValue()" 
value="Alert value" />

</body>
</html>

OOOOOOKKKKKK  hope this one help try

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.