Imagemagick versus GD for PHP applications...

cgm225

I use a mixture of both, just because some tasks are easier and quicker in one rather than the other. I find things like captchas easier to code using GD, but doing simple things such as re-size/scaling and cropping a lot quicker and easier using ImageMagick.

I guess GD has the advantage of being able to dump its output to the browser easier, which is good for on-the-fly images where as ImageMagick would probably be better for batch processing or more processor heavy tasks as I don't think PHP waits for IM finish what it's doing before continuing with the rest of the script - I may be wrong on that though, as some execution functions have the option to output the CLI result...

imagemagick is although powerful than GD but GD is native in php while imagemagick must be used through shell commands. So, GD is available in most servers.

I use a mixture of both, just because some tasks are easier and quicker in one rather than the other. I find things like captchas easier to code using GD, but doing simple things such as re-size/scaling and cropping a lot quicker and easier using ImageMagick.

There are some really cool classes for GD available at phpclasses that can make these image manipulation a breeze.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.