topics regarding changing backend database

abdfahim

Hi Boss,

I have made a whole project using php in front end and mysql in back end. Now I have 4 question

1) How much data (row) can mysql support. I have about 95,000 row with 30 columns of data each month. How many days can I continue with mysql?

2) Should I use one table for all data or I use different table for each month?

3) Is it easy to switch to SQL or ORACLE as database?

4) If I have to switch, between SQL and ORACLE, which is better and easy and why?

my 2 cents:

1) From what i've heard, mysql can easily handle 5 million rows in a table,if not more, but it will slow down considerably if you have not indexed your columns well.

2) You are probably just going to cause more problems by splitting the tables (maybe not), but if the data isn't needed after a while you can probably dump it (archive) or something.

3-4) no experience so cant help with those.

cheers,

tdw

thanx v v much thedarkwinter. I deadly need that information . You were right, it causing me lots of problems by splitting the table. Now I'll merge them all because at most I need 3 lac data at a time. Thanx again. But, plz clear me what do you mean by "indexing well".

My 2 cents too:

1) MySQL has a 4GB limit by default which can be extended to a lot more and boost the limit to 4.2 Billion rows. Anyway having large amounts of data in your tables would do nothing less then slow down your queries. Normally for very large amounts of records u should have different databases stored in different database servers.

2) It depends on your application. If u need those data just for storage then its ok, but otherwise, running queries in a table with thousands of records will slow u down. Having each month in a different table can probably make your site faster as u can run queries on a specified month's table.

3) Not an idea, but i can guess its not too complicated. Also i can guess it would be complicated to modify the php code for oracle. But isnt oracle a bit too expensive?

4) Better Oracle surely, easier MySQL. Not an expert to give arguments though.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.