Not sure what to do...

Aureole

Ok basically when someone logs in I set a session variable to 1 $_SESSION['logged_in'] and I also update the Databse, member table and set the field mem_online to 1. Now the problem with this is if the session times out due to inactivity, the mem_online field is still set to 1 so although the Member isn't online, on their profile and on the online memberlist they are shown as online.

Basically I need a way to update mem_online to 0 once the user has been inactive for a certain amount of time. I'm not really sure how to approach this.

Any input is appreciated.

I already have it like that, you don't understand...if the member logs out then that's fine and it gets set to 0.

But if they DON'T log out, instead their session times out from inactivity. So they're not actually logged in but in the database they are...because the session timing out doesn't affect the database "mem_online" field...

Thanks...

Ok . . . when it times them out . . . does it send them to another page? If so . . . it should close the session and all the $_SESSION[] variables. If that's the case, on the page it sends you to, I would have it check for a certain variable, maybe $_SESSION['logged_in']; so maybe something like:

if (!$_SESSION['logged_in']) {
$query = "UPDATE table name SET mem_online = 0;";
mysql_query ($query,database info) or die(mysql_error());
} else {}

This is just a guess though . . . if when the user is timed out, the $_SESSION variables aren't reset, I don't know how to help you.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.