Advice for first PHP/MySQL Project?

rockstar_tom

Hello,

I'm a PHP beginner, pretty good with html and Flash actionscript and want to get stuck in to backend stuff. I have designed this website www.laceytheatrecompany.com and want to use it as a first project to try out some backend stuff.

The NEWS and TOUR sections are to be updated by a client (a single user, given access by myself). The NEWS and TOUR pages contain the entire list of entries. On the HOME page, the NEWS and TOUR boxes display only the latest 2/3 entries. The NEWS page will also have an anchored menu at the top to each news entry.

I am very keen to become a good PHPer. If anyone could take a quick look at the site and then point me in the right direction to get started, templates/tutorials/any words of advice it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Welcome to this community. The site looks pretty nice, with its simple and somewhere grundgy look. If u have experience in actionscript u shouldnt have problems with php, as both are c based and their syntax is pretty near. Myself i started with a video tutorial at lynda.com, "starting php/mysql" if i can remember it right, then i read a book (which i cant remember the title) and after those everything ran smoothly :). What u want to achieve is for your site is quite basic so believe me, probably a week or two of php study will give u the knowledge to create those and a lot more.

U can find tutorials everywhere. U can start with those on this site or u can just google. While learning, post new problems ure facing in this forum and be sure ull get fast and good responses. Dont forget also the php.net manual as its the best recourse u can find.

Good luck.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.