Listing processes in PHP

mrhead66

Hi guys,

Using PHP, is it possible to return and display a list of currently running processes on the client's machine? In fact, is it possible to run a system command on a client's machine?

Thanks for all your help and advice. This will be a valuable diagnostic tool if it is possible.

Ok, thank you for your help. I understand the reason ( I'm guessing mainly security) that PHP would probably impose such a restriction.

Would you be able to point me towards any other languages that would be able to run system commands on a clients machine in a browser? Is it possible using Perl or Javascript, or not at all under an intranet environment? Would I have to offer the script as a completely seperate program?

Thank you once again for all your help and assistance.

It's not security, it's just physical separation. PHP receives messages from the client, responds, then returns data.

You would certainly need something that runs on the client, like javascript, although I have no idea if js could accomplish what you want. I should think you'd need to install an application on the client pc.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.