Reset Auto_Increment Value

ainoy31

Hello-

I want to know if it is safe to run the following script to reset my auto increment value in my table without messing up the current records?

ALTER TABLE carriers_schedule AUTO_INCREMENT = 1

I have a script that automatically delete records if it is older than today when an upload occurs.  Right now I have up to 9756 records but an estimated 1 - 2545 records already have been deleted.  I want the to count to start over at 1 after it reaches say 1200.  Much appreciation 

Well, since that script only sets the ID for the upcoming records, the current records stay untouched. The only harm in this could be ID duplication, when a daily upload runs over 1200, but i suppose you're aware of that.

Agreed... don't reset IDs, unless you blow away all of the data in the table, in which case use TRUNCATE, not DELETE.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.